Monday, October 18, 2004

How's this for a some-of-my-best-friends-are-black kind of patronization of religious people (that sets up a recitation of the media's Bush-as-puppet-of-fundamentalists conspiracy theory) from Timothy Noah in Slate:

Now, don't get me wrong. Religious faith can be a very fine thing. Some of my best friends believe in God, and some of their best qualities derive, at least in part, from their faith.


("'Some Of My Best Friends Are Black' How many times have I heard someone say this when they become anxious about a position they are taking, except it comes out as "you know, some of my best friends are black, but ... (followed by some essentialized view of what the speaker perceives as "blacks")" x.

Lecture at Amherst: "But Some of My Best Friends Are Black: Racism and the Culture of Denial.”)

No comments: