Friday, August 16, 2002

Important follow-up to my breakdown of personal media and public responsibility--this provocative memo about writing vs. reporting from the Arizona Republic. "We have to get reporters away from the mistaken notion that we are writers first and reporters second. ... We are not about writing. We are about getting facts and telling people about them." Recipe for boredom and irrelevance right there. Although I'm sympathetic to the problem of lazy reporting, I think bad writing is actually one of the top three problems in media. I've rebutted this the way I want to in my earlier rant, and I'll again link to this fabulous Wash. Monthly symposium on objectivity:
http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/1999/9901.symposium.html
The Phoenix New Times, which posted the memo, spoofs the Republic in this PDF. Good for some chuckles.

No comments: