Friday, October 03, 2008

4 key lines from the speech I heard Obama give in Grand Rapids yesterday

4 key lines from the speech I heard Obama give in Grand Rapids yesterday

1. "This financial crisis is a direct result of ... a philosophy that views even the most common-sense regulations as unwise and unnecessary. Well, this crisis is nothing less than a final verdict on this failed philosophy – and it’s a philosophy I’m running for President to end."

2. "My opponent ... says he’ll take on corporate lobbyists now, but he put seven of the biggest lobbyists in Washington in charge of his campaign. And if you think those lobbyists are working day and night to elect him just to put themselves out of business, well I’ve got a bridge to sell you up in Alaska."

3. "I will cut taxes – cut taxes – for 95% of all working families."

4. "This country and the dream it represents are being tested in a way that we haven’t seen in nearly a century. And future generations will judge ours by how we respond to this test."

-nb

5 comments:

andrea said...

I am enjoying your 4's. Keep it up! :)

Nathan said...

Thanks. It's the only way I can keep my blogging time managable! Hope all is well at the South Pole...!

Norma said...

This is nonsense. He and the other Democrats blocked all attempts to regulate Fannie and Fred. This collapse is a direct result of attempting to social engineer poor people into mortgages and black mail the banks if they balked. I was blogging about this 18 months ago, and I'm just an ordinary citizen. And he can hardly reduce taxes on 95% when many of those don't pay any federal taxes at all.

Nathan said...

Actually, this idea (as imaginative as it is to portray poor people as the perpetrators of Wall Street greed) is a myth: see tinyurl.com/67zdx9

ScottF said...

I hope those who voted Obama hold him to the fact that he'll cut taxes and not have another "Read My Lips" retraction.