Xenophobia in the U.S. Senate
Declaring English to be the national language of the U.S. is about as necessary and meaningful as declaring Going To The Beach to be the National Summertime Activity.
The myth that immigrants to the U.S. lack the incentive and the will to learn English is pervasive but silly. The problem that there aren't enough English classes for immigrants is very real, and widely ignored.
Update: On a lighter note, this has set up easy punch lines for late night comedians:
"The president says making English our national language is not 'discriminatious.'" --Conan O'Brien
- 4 (14)
- Cute Budweiser Spoof
- Visit to Shawnee Park Book Group xpost with my Hea...
- At least they don't cheesily say 'We don't have mu...
- Xenophobia in the U.S. Senate Sigh. Declaring E...
- Amazon Light 4.0 An alternative interface for Ama...
- Wikipedia cited as source in NY Times op-ed Geoff...
- A Steven Wright quote-of-the-day RSS-ed to my Gmai...
- ▼ May (7)
- ► 2005 (58)
- ► 2004 (329)
- ► 2003 (263)
- ► 2002 (559)